Worrying Will Not Get You Where You Want to Go by Cindy Stradling CSP, CPC
“Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.” Corrie ten Boom, author
Business leaders always have lots going on, and are frequently faced with financial and other uncertainties. It’s only natural to worry about what the future holds. However, just because it is natural to worry doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. Worrying can cause the following problems:
• It shifts focus. Very often, when we worry, we are focused on things about which we have no control. This takes our focus off the activities we can control, which are those things that lead to our success in business and our personal life. Losing focus on these important activities can cause us lost business and opportunity.
• It steals our joy. When we are worried, we are constantly focused on the worst possible outcome of a situation. In reality, many situations will have the best possible outcome, and few will have the worst. In the meantime, while we’re worrying, however, we aren’t enjoying our life.
• It accomplishes nothing. Worrying doesn’t change the outcome of our situation. It simply makes us focus on it longer.
Here are some ways to reduce the worry in your life.
• Think the situation through for a defined period of time. When something is bothering you, it can make you feel better to give it some attention. Once you consider the likely outcomes, you’ll probably discover that the situation is not as bad as you thought. Just be sure that you specify exactly how long you’ll spend thinking about the situation, and then move on.
• Take action. If there are things you can do to affect the outcome of the situation about which you’re worried; do them. Then, you can let go of the worry knowing you’ve taken every step possible to influence the outcome.
• Stay busy. Focus on positive activities. When you’re busy, you’ll worry less.
Everyone goes through periods of worry. To overcome these, it is important to take specific positive steps to prevent the worry from taking too much of your precious time and energy.